- The secret of green tea lies in the fact it is rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly EGCG, epigallo catechin. EGCG is a powerful anti-oxidant and besides inhibiting the growth of cancer cells, it also kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue. It has also been effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels, and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots.
- Green, oolong, and black teas all come from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. The reason green tea is more healthy is due to the way it is processed. Green tea leaves are steamed,which prevents the EGCG compound from being oxidized. Whereas, black and oolong tea leaves are made from fermented leaves,which results in the EGCG being converted into other compounds that are not as effective in health benefits.
- How much tea to drink for these benefits?Tea being a very refreshing drink, unless one over-consumes any amount should be immensely helpful. On an average, drinking one to three cups each day should suffice.
- Green Tea helps in Cancer Prevention:Green Tea is known to prevent many types of cancer. The catechin poly phenols, particularly EGCG which is a powerful anti-oxidant is known to prevent cancer cell growth as well as kill various cancerous cells without affecting surrounding healthy tissues.
- Green Tea helps in maintaining Heart Health:Research has confirmed that green tea poly phenols can protect a heart from oxidative stress, as well as maintain good left ventricular function after ischemic arrest (restriction in the heart’s blood supply) and reperfusion (tissue damage caused when the blood supply returns).Green tea also protects the heart by adversely affecting LDL (bad cholesterol) and preventing hypertension,i.e. high blood pressure.
- Green Tea helps in Type 2 Diabetes:Green Tea is known to improve glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity in individuals with Type 2 Diabetes.Even in non-diabetics, green tea consumption helps our bodies to better utilize glucose.
- Green Tea helps in better Cognition:Green Tea is not only a very refreshing drink but studies have shown that regularly drinking green tea is known to help maintain cognitive focus and improve alertness. Senior citizens that drink green tea have demonstrated increased mental abilities.Also, its believed that green tea may be protecting the brain from forming plaque deposits such as found in Alzheimer’s disease.Green tea may also help in reducing memory loss.
- Green Tea helps in Weight Loss:Green Tea which has many flavonoids called catechins and poly phenols, which helps boost body’s metabolism and thus help in burning fat and loosing weight.
Maitreyi Gautam (my mystic name) comes from the original Vedic Tradition, one of world’s oldest living cultures.