It is simply a way of life that means we make conscious decisions based on the role we have on this planet and how to appreciate and nurture it. While it may seem like it is a new ideal to become a “green” member of society, it is simply that more people are becoming aware that there is currently only one place, this Earth, that is suitable for us to live and it is important that we take care of it.
Why is Green Living important?
The reason it is so important to practice green living is because we all require the same fundamentals in order to survive: clean water, air, food and environment. Understanding green living means being aware of our resources (whether they are renewable or non-renewable), sustainability, recycling, food varieties and usable energy. In order to have resources we have to be able to conserve them, such as water, land and forests, as well as oil and natural gas.
Small steps towards a smaller "Carbon Footprint"...
There are plenty of ways that you can leave less of a “carbon footprint” or have less negative impact on the planet.
- Recycling and re-using plastic bags from grocery stores is a great start. If possible, use cloth bags which are reusable and can decompose.
- We can also limit or lessen our use of water by being more conscious about our usage.
- Turn off or unplug appliances when not in use- this saves electricity.
- Recycle and reuse products as much as possible.
- Recycle your trash.
- Try to car-pool as much as you can.
- Be conscious of your food-choices- some production techniques take a toll on the environment. Support environmentally conscious companies.